01. Sompo Canopius AG is the global specialty (re)insurance platform of Sompo Japan Nipponkoa Holdings Inc., which has c.$85bn total assets.
02. Sompo Canopius AG is wholly owned by the principal subsidiary of the above, an A+ rated company and one of the top three Japanese P&C insurers. Acquisition completed May 2014.
03. Sompo Canopius AG is domiciled in Switzerland.
04. Sompo Canopius AG formed via MBO in December 2003, with £25m equity capital.
05. Significant growth achieved since 2003 to one of the ten Lloyd's insurers writing premiums in excess of £1bn.
06. Group financial highlights 2014: gross written premiums £881m; producing an after tax profit for shareholders of post-tax profit £69m; investment return 1.9%; return on equity 14%.
07. Sompo Canopius is a brand name for our various underwriting platforms: Lloyd's: Syndicate 4444, managed by Canopius Managing Agents Limited; US excess & surplus lines insurance company, Canopius US Insurance, Inc.;and Zurich-based reinsurance company, Sompo Japan Canopius Reinsurance AG. Sompo Canopius Re is the brand name for the reinsurance business written by the group.
09. c.750 staff employed as at 31st December 2015.
10. Canopius Managing Agents Limited is the ninth largest managing agent at Lloyd's. For 2016, it manages a single syndicate: Syndicate 4444 with a stamp capacity of £975m.
11. Syndicate 4444 underwrites a diversified portfolio of insurance and reinsurance business across over 100 countries worldwide.
12.. For 2016, Sompo Canopius owns 87% of capacity on Syndicate 4444.
13. Syndicate 4444 (and Syndicates 958 and 260, in run off) offer strong Lloyd's security: A+ (strong), Standard & Poor's;
AA- (Very Strong), Fitch; A (Excellent), A.M. Best
14. Other IFS ratings: Canopius US Insurance, Inc.: A- (Excellent), A.M. Best. Sompo Japan Canopius Reinsurance AG: 'A' (Excellent), A.M. Best; 'A+' (Strong), Standard & Poor's